res gestae divi augusti: text, translation, and commentary
These copies are the basis of the texts presented in this edition, which includes both the Latin and Greek texts on facing pages. well written and very knowledgeable. I cannot compete with Eustathios's fine review. I cannot compete with Eustathios's fine review. Within a relatively brief, but detailed introduction, Cooley sets the stage by providing readers with a comprehensive review of the genesis, contents, and reception of the RGDA. 3-6). Cited by 2; Cited by. But they will also learn where they can turn for further bibliography and discussion of such topics. I'm a third year ancient history student and it has been so useful for my Augustan history module. The text and accompanying translations (pp. This edition provides a text, translation and detailed commentary - the first substantial one in English for more than four decades - which is suitable for use with students of all levels. Cooley has divided her treatment of the RGDA into three sections: an introduction; the text of the Latin original with facing Greek translation and an English translation of each version immediately following on the same page; and a commentary. This brand new commentary is the first in-depth scholarly treatment of Augustus' memoirs in English in forty years. 978-0-521-60128-3 - Res Gestae Divi Augusti: Text, Translation, and Commentary Alison E. Cooley Frontmatter More information. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Llama Drama: A two-woman, 5,500-mile cycling adventure through South America (Anna's Adventures Book 3), Cambridge University Press (26 Oct. 2011), Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 17 September 2016. Her account (pp. BC 1.24.2; 3.4.4). Buy the print book Check if you have access via personal or institutional login. Recent books include Becoming Roman, Writing Latin? You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. It is only to be regretted that she did not go so far as to provide an apparatus criticus setting forth the contributions made by each of the four witnesses to the constitution of the bilingual text that she prints. This edition provides a text, translation and detailed commentary - the first substantial one in English for more than four decades - which is suitable for use with students of all levels. Recent books include Becoming Roman, Writing Latin? There's a problem loading this menu right now. It also analyses reviews to verify trustworthiness. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. I merely wish to register my enthusiasm for this presentation of the Res Gestae and my gratitude to Dr. Cooley for preparing such a fine volume. About Us. A really useful edition. Similarly, items such as the phrase mare pacavi a praedonibus (25.1) are far more comprehensible when understood against the background of the political rhetoric of the late Republic and specifically that utilized by Caesar in his commentarii when dealing enemies such as Pompey the Great (e.g. Imprint Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2009. 57-101) make available to a general reading public as well as scholars both the Latin original and the Greek translation. It elucidates how Augustus understood his role in Roman society, and how he wished to be remembered by posterity; and it sets this picture that emerges from the Res Gestae into the context of the emergence both of a new visual language and of an official set of expressions. The commentary deals with linguistic, stylistic and historical matters. Bryn Mawr PA 19010. ISBN 9780521841528. Such a good book. Scholars, too, will derive benefit from consultation of this work. The original inscription is lost, but more or less complete copies of it in Latin and in a Greek translation survive from several temples in Asia Minor. While it does not altogether replace the critical editions of Scheid 2007 and Ehrenberg and Jones 19762, it will be an essential reference work for anyone dealing with the RGDA and the figure of Augustus. well written and very knowledgeable. Please try again. In both languages, the Res Gestae consists of an introductory heading, 35 sections, and an appendix, each ranging in length from a sentence up to a large paragraph. 2. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Alison E. Cooley's commentary on the Res Gestae of Augustus, Reviewed in the United States on August 2, 2013. 1-55) contextualizes this text from a multiplicity of perspectives. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Res Gestae Divi Augusti: Text, Translation, and Commentary, See all details for Res Gestae Divi Augusti: Text, Translation, and Commentary, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The book also includes illustrations in order to demonstrate how the Augustan era witnessed the rise of a whole new visual language. : Literacy and Epigraphy in the Roman West (2002; edited) and Pompeii (2004). It elucidates how Augustus understood his role in Roman society, and how he wished to be remembered by posterity; and it sets this picture that emerges from the Res Gestae into the context of the emergence both of a new visual language and of an official set of expressions. It was written by the Roman Emperor Augustus at the end of his life, as an account of his achievements, to be displayed as a monumental inscription outside his mausoleum and elsewhere around the Empire. Octavian, after all, began his career as divi filius. Uniform Title Res gestae divi Augusti. The book concludes with indices that readers will find particularly reliable and useful. The text and translation occupy just over 40 pages in this edition, and these are accompanied by a 55 page introduction, just under 180 pages of notes, a number of maps and illustrations, a thorough 20 page bibliography, and several indexes. Request changes or add full text files to a record, Email us: wrap@warwick.ac.uk Similarly, Thrace was not a province of the Empire at the time of the death of Augustus (map 4). More surprisingly, the discussion of Augustus’ moral legislation (8.5) is altogether inadequate, overlooking the complex nature of this attempt to reform society. A huge improvement over Moore and Brunt's classic edition, it prints the superb text that John Scheid edited in 2007 for the Bude series, and offers detailed discussion to a variety of issues in every single paragraph, covering politics, language and style, history and literary aesthetics. A very literal English translation is provided underneath both the Latin and the Greek text because (as the commentator persuasively shows) the Greek translator frequently takes liberties with the Latin in order to make the Res Gestae more comprehensible and palatable to its provincial, culturally non-Roman audience. At the end of his life the emperor Augustus wrote an account of his achievements in which he reviewed his rise to power, his conquest of the world and his unparalleled generosity towards his subjects. Ars Amatoria, Book 1: Book I: Bk.1 (Clarendon Paperbacks). Likewise, they will learn of Octavian’s financial dispositions in the wake of his victory at Actium. Such a good book. As is indicated by the transmitted Latin heading and reference made to it by Suetonius ( Aug. 101.4), the work’s title was, properly speaking, Res gestae divi Augusti, quibus orbem terrarum imperio populi Romani subiecit, et inpensae, quas in rem publicam populumque Romanum fecit. This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. There are, however, oversights and blunders that might have been avoided.

Honey In The Horn Song, Where To Watch Wallander, Robby Benson Children, Marieve Herington Age, Clay Harbor Parents, Uniqlo Reddit, Un Plus Une Watch Online, Bts V Abs, Forever Lyrics Labrinth, Marseille Pronunciation, Goodbye Summer Netflix, Cody Joe Scheck, Psychological Autopsy Template, J Hus Instagram, Psychological Autopsy, Shaking My Head, Good Behavior Javier, Why Did Thomas Nast Draw Santa Claus Plump And Smiling, The Goldfinch Goodreads Quotes, Jiang Peiyao, The Cure 40 Live Blu-ray, Yukiko Man In The High Castle Wiki, By Hook Or By Crook Synonyms, We All Have Our Demons Meaning, The Horror Of Party Beach Public Domain, King Kong (2005 Awards), You Have Forgotten Meaning In Tamil, Desperado The Premier Eagles Tribute, Mehriban Aliyeva Died, Everlane Target Market, Anthuleni Vintha Katha, Radeka's Cave Blood Rose, William Mckinley Accomplishments, Fathers Day Remembrance Quotes, Carl Fogarty, Super Junior 2020, Giants: Citizen Kabuto Multiplayer, Betel Nut Beauty Meaning, Drunk Parents Ending Explained, Catherine Curtin Age, Where Can I Watch Creators: The Past, Chris Attoh Age, Boortsog Hiih, Sarah Willingham Net Worth 2020, Baby I'm Yours Earrape, Horse Racing Exotic Bets Calculator, Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, Sidney Sheldon, Almaty Vs Astana Nightlife, Seulgi Height, Distain Or Disdain, Perfect Love Casts Out Fear Nkjv, Hannah Lee Fowler Sister, Marble Ball Symbolism, Kate Foster Katie Mcgrath, Is My Spy On Hulu, Yoona And Seung Gi, Henry Bean, Love Memories Quotes For Her, Jason Aldean Chords, Anno Dracula Reading Order, American Girl Chicago, Kuntilanak 2 Movie, My Girl Korean Drama Songs Never Say Goodbye, Leo Suter Net Worth, Rishi Kapoor Brothermanjot Singh Height, Shweta Tripathi Husband Height, Impetigore Explained, Grease Full Movie Fmovies, Thomas Rhett Toronto, Shantrell Moore Williams, Extrusive Rock, Le Chateau Restaurant, Nike Phantom Venom, How To Pronounce Loathing, Devices And Desires Cast, Halo: Reach Pc, Battle Tower Pokemon Sword, 10 Things I Hate About You Watch Online, Visiting Quantico, Va,