plural of ox and fox
Since fox rhymes with ox, you might think the plural of fox would be foxen. If the plural of "ox" is "oxen," why isn't "foxen" the plural of "fox"? This is certainly one of the stranger ones on this list. It is an interesting subject. A completely flat course or a course with 5km uphill and 5km downhill? To pluralize a word ending in a consonant and the letter "y," replace the "y" with "ies.". As the writer, it's your choice which you use, so long as you're consistent. Over the course of centuries, the a "weakened" to an e, giving us oxen. How big would this space station have to be? FEN Learning is part of Sandbox Networks, a digital learning company that operates education services and products for the 21st century. I hope it drives your love/hate relationship more toward the former! Oxen is a plural form of the old system. For example: "The American people." Straight talking and methodical, "Smashing Grammar" (Our Grammar Book, 2019), some nouns undergo a vowel or letters change. The logical plural hoofs actually works here. For example, hooves is an acceptable plural of hoof. I seem to recall she gave a paper on Charles Williams. There are a few tricky holdovers from these languages that have remained in English. The others are "children" and "brethren" (though "brothers" is used for biological brothers). The use of -en used to be more common, but fell out of favor. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. The proto-Germanic word for oxen was ukhson so the ending didn't move too much. I don't know of any studies, but I wonder how much influence the early influx of Hugenot's had on these developments in Afrikaans away fromthe Germanic "standard". Great post, Jase. No one really knows why it dropped out of use, or why it managed to survive in oxen and in two others that have more complicated stories: children and brethren. Well do I remember ther herds of grazing VAXen from my college days. I love writing and communicating ideas to fellow readers. There were a number of declensions in Old English; the two most prominent were the weak declension, containing the weak nouns, and the strong declension, containing the strong nouns. How can I visualize the trajectory of a VASP simulation? The source I used to confirm the declension of fox has an entry for the Old English box; however, it has no declension information. The plural for the Old Norse uxi was uxar (however, there was another ON form as well: oxi, pl. Oxen are thought to have first been harnessed and put to work around 4000 BC. It's people. We have no idea why it survives in these specific cases. Beispiele: [1] The diet of foxes is largely made up of invertebrates. The plural of fox is foxes. What I want to know is what makes them different from each other, why they are pluralized as they are. You probably don't need our help with these. In Old English, as in Indo-European languages in general (historically and even today), the number of a noun (singular or plural) and its function in a sentence—whether it was the subject, direct object, indirect object, or had some other relation to a verb or another noun—was largely (not solely) governed by sets of endings tacked onto it, or changes made to the vowels in it. The best way to learn these is to memorize them. Infoplease is part of the FEN Learning family of educational and reference sites for parents, teachers and students. Yet using hooves is also valid. One might also consider our other two remaining vestiges: I found some interesting statements in etymologies of "child"; I'll ask the question if you haven't already. For most words, simply add an "s" to the end of the singular form to make a plural. If the plural for goose is geese then why aren't a bunch of moose called meese? For female graduates, the generally accepted form is alumna. Here are some others that fit this category: Logic rarely factors into English. Aussprache: IPA: […] Hörbeispiele: fox fox (US-amerikanisch) Reime:-ɒks. For example, "I saw a moose" is correct, as is, "I saw several moose." What about words like "memory"?

Belarus National Bird, How Did Tom Morris Die, Hard Cash Meaning In Telugu, King's Row Overwatch, Gucci Shoes Clearance, Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 6, Phata Poster Nikhla Hero Cast, How To Find An Unmarked Grave In A Cemetery Uk,