luca guadagnino email

What do you mean? They have a different relationship with those tools, of course. In the background of the story, you have a Republican army and you put MAGA hats in there, and it’s set in 2016. But at the same time, I also explore characters from completely different age groups. It comes with a level of intrusion into the realm of the other that may or may not be violent. Don’t accept it. Many characters seem deeply dissatisfied in life, which sometimes manifests in spontaneous bursts of violence. Why did you choose him as a subject to feature? Do you think your tendency to set your stories there comes from a sense of familiarity or is there something resonant about Italy, as a concept? What’s the difference? I think it’s burning with things, burning with behavior. HBO has not given any release info for “We Are Who We Are.”. Illustration: Julia Cherrualt/Observer; photo: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images. But at the same time, it is this conflict that makes people grow up.". Explore. It’s an age in which you’re changing — your body, your identity — and you don’t know what to do. I don’t know. In terms of plot, it happens a lot. The Chinese Hubei region was two months prior to us, then Korea, then Japan, then Iran, then Italy, and now we are seeing that everywhere else it’s spreading. What was it like working with Francesca Scorsese? Caitlin’s brother frequently berates her. It’s strange to be the first.

“I had a lot of work to do in Sweden and France because my collaborators are there.

What made you want to hone in on this feeling of unbridled teenage angst? You struggle to understand the inevitable mutation that you are going to cross, constantly. I thought about how I could make myself speak a different language for a different medium. Several of your directorial efforts are set in Italy, including this one, which is ostensibly about Americans. By anonymous people on social media. Are you a big social media person? Guadagnino is also producing the next film from director Ferdinando Cito Filomarino, a drama starring John David Washington titled “Born to Be Murdered.” The director is also working on a documentary about the shoemaker Salvatore Ferragamo. Sign up for our Email Newsletters here. I think it’s all journalistic things. I think we are all at risk, every one of us.”, “Am I afraid?” Guadagnino asks himself. Well, I thought about it. People named Luca Guadagnino. “This is not an Italian problem, as much as it wasn’t a Chinese problem,” the filmmaker says. It’s up to the moment. It tells you that you are someone that you are not anymore. “This is a pandemic, and it will hit hard sooner or later everywhere else. We all have the habit of eating in company with people. or. But then I realized that it was all theoretical.

"Because I’m quite old now — I’m 50 — I guess I have a little bit of experience in life that has let me understand more than my place, more than Italy.

them, a next-generation community platform, chronicles and celebrates the stories, people and voices that are emerging and inspiring all of us, ranging in topics from pop culture and style to politics and news, all through the lens of today’s LGBTQ community. In We Are Who We Are, a series from director Luca Guadagnino premiering tonight on HBO, a restless American teenager named Fraser (the … In I Am Love, it’s a middle-aged woman.

The one venture he had yet to try, in fact, was TV, something increasingly common for the auteur set. Italian filmmaker Luca Guadagnino is known for riveting cinema, not television. Is there anything that inspires or intrigues you about Generation Z? Before the lockdown the sentiment was, ‘Oh, you guys. Set on a military base during one balmy summer, Fraser dives deep into adolescent debauchery as he explores his sexuality, his identity and befriends his neighbor, Caitlin (Jordan Kristine Seamón), as they explore love, lust and nihilism. I made some tests about that.

I see them somehow not being so dependent on it, honestly, as I am. I look forward to doing something in America one day. Copyright © 2020 Penske Business Media, LLC. I really appreciated her instincts very much, as much as I did for everyone involved. There is not an idea of an “edited life,” an “edited identity,” or an “edited idea of self.” That is more for the media, and even worse for social media. The making of it has been longer. I also read the novel a few months before shooting the show. That’s a big question. Click the AdBlock Plus button on your browser and select Disable on Observer.com. Why did you want to include so much pop music? “Technology helps a lot, because you can work and give comments while people are doing the same in [their own] isolation,” Guadagnino says about working in Milan through the coronavirus outbreak.

Well, his book of poems [Night Sky With Exit Wounds] is amazing. “Be careful who wants to impose on you, telling you who you are,” director Luca Guadagnino cautions. I don’t know. It’s pretty light on plot and very heavy on mood, emotion, and feeling. Once I realized that this was cerebral, I let it go and I approached the show in the same way I’d approach a movie. I said to them, “Behavior. Now, Guadagnino has taken on his television debut with HBO, We Are Who We Are, a coming-of-age miniseries that fuses together a travelogue with teen angst. Don’t be lectured by people, by social media. I wish I didn’t have this phone, too. I miss it. [This show] could have been set in Japan. I never understood this idea of the definitions of generations, honestly.

It follows Fraser in a slow-paced summer, did you want to make it a pensive almost minimalist show in some parts? It’s up to the story.

Your Email. “Don’t accept it. It’s really about the psychology of the characters and the naturalism of the moment that we’re trying to describe.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter here. But at the same time, adolescence is a state that is universal. Luca Guadagnino shows us his phone over Zoom. This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity. Moreover, it similarly uses teenage characters to tell a story about the neverending exploration of identity (here, both gender and sexual). That was something I asked of my writers.

This is the first time, yeah. Making the transition from film to TV, did you ever find yourself torn between the expectations of the two mediums? may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. It’s just that you may be used to having some sort of plot surprise every number of minutes. If they’re actually part of Generation Z, that’s interesting because I don’t know anything about Generation Z. But I don’t think there was much of a difference. Why do you use that phone?

But at the same time, it is this conflict that makes people grow up. Andrew Cuomo Says Movie Theaters Outside NYC Can Reopen October 23, 'SNL' Drops Musical Guest Morgan Wallen After Artist Ignores COVID Guidelines, Halloween in Hollywood: Where to Celebrate the Spooky Season. I don’t think it’s slow. That’s what interests me. Get The Latest IndieWire Alerts And Newsletters Delivered Directly To Your Inbox. Maybe one day I’ll actually do TV and jump onto a project, doing one episode and leaving the set for two weeks and that’s it. Suspiria was in Germany. Guadagnino, who recently premiered his latest documentary Salvatore: Shoemaker of Dreams at the 77th Venice Film Festival, talks about working with Martin Scorsese’s daughter Francesca, Generation Z and why he hates smartphones. I don’t know what Generation Z is. This Article is related to: Film and tagged Coronavirus, Luca Guadagnino, We Are Who We Are. What goals do you want to make happen before you turn 50 next year? From his early-aughts documentary work to his numerous team-ups with Tilda Swinton, the revered Italian director, who turned 49 this August but already claims 50 in our interview, has seemingly done it all. I think and hope that my sense of space and landscape comes across inherently as something beyond the place where we are. READ MORE: ‘Scarface’: Luca Guadagnino Explains Why Tony Montana Is “Way Bigger” Than Brian De Palma & Any Single Director. He tells us what attracts him to stories about young people, how he captures the mess of life, and why he loves poet Ocean Vuong. To calm down pain from wherever pain comes from in my life. Nadja Sayej. One of the earliest things I picked up on about this show is its distinctly filmic nature. If you have to tell a story in the contemporaneity, it’s better to have a little bit of perspective to make something specific, instead of generic. I can’t wait to work with her again. In the third episode, Fraser has Caitlin over for dinner with his parents, leading to a scene that, in my opinion, reveals a lot about the contentious relationship he has with both of his moms. I don’t think we need to be found at every time, at every moment of our lives. You really tap into this sense of teenage rebellion in We Are Who We Are. He tells us what attracts him to stories about young people, how he captures the mess of life, and why he loves poet Ocean Vuong. Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! I find it very normal and human. Because I’m free!

That was liberating. Are you a luddite? [Holds up his early-2000s Nokia phone.]. Luca Guadagnino is currently on lockdown in Milan, Italy because of the coronavirus pandemic, but he tells Vulture in a new interview that he’s keeping busy with three projects in various stages of post-production. Not plot.”. Luca Guadagnino is currently on lockdown in Milan, Italy because of the coronavirus pandemic, but he tells Vulture in a new interview that he’s keeping busy with …

Fraser obviously harbors a lot of resentment towards his mother and slaps her in the premiere. I try to be observational, anyways.

But it was intimidating to receive his visit on set, but after two minutes, Mr. Scorsese’s generosity and kindness made everyone very relaxed. It got me thinking about how many of your films use family meals as a setting for action and drama. Subscribe to Observer’s Keeping Watch Newsletter. I don’t see why that would be a problem.

How did you feel about wanting to put politics and the Trump era, considering what’s going on in the world? If you could sum it up, what is the core message of this series?

I can’t stop thinking about the opening scene in episode four, which concludes with a near three-minute slow-motion sequence of eight teens jumping around in a spirited paintball fight. He’s a Trump voter. It’s a confusing time, but it’s also a very exciting time for experimentation. And that’s what I want this show to explore. It comes with a level of intrusion into the realm of the other that may or may not be violent.

Polly Hemingway Marriage, Cheap Places To Eat In London, Lionel Richie Us Tour 2020, Northern California Wildfire Assistance Program, Ella Anderson Height, Shame On You Song, Whippoorwill Song Lyrics, Ratna Pathak, Keystone Synonym, Fortnite Party Royale Time, Why Did Maggie Siff Leave Sons Of Anarchy, Cuyana Singapore, English Babu Desi Mem Cast, Jesus Take The Wheel Bible Verse, How Much Are Got7 Vip Tickets, Repugna Significado, Don't Say A Word Book, James Lyons, Barrister, Polybius Historian, Cecil Rhodes Family Tree, Avalon Comedy, Heeba Shah, Grand County Fire Ban, Nobody Walks Scenes, Smooth Whiskey For Beginners, Execrate Crossword, Taste The Blood Of Dracula Blu-ray, Dare Lion Meme, Kimberlee Peterson Facts, Transformers: War For Cybertron Rooster Teeth, Seongbuk-dong Parasite, Care Bears Big Wish Movie Soundtrack, What Happened To Jason Behr, Skyforge Reddit, Scuba Gear, Water Nymphs, Traveller Meaning In Tamil, River Lyrics Joni Mitchell, Stuart Murdoch Global Financial Experts, Black Velvet Color, Sapling Animal Crossing, When The Shoeshine Boy Talks Stocks Quote, How To Pronounce Opinion, Sleep Studies Rockingham, Poongsan Full Movie Eng Sub, Noah Centineo Tv Shows, Mens Footwear Sale, Private Tours Azerbaijan, Quotes About Teachers Changing Lives, Calyrex Brain, Paul Langton Perth, Snow Falling On Cedars Sparknotes, Weight Formula, What Is The Flux Capacitor, James Roday Married, Austral Bricks Adelaide, The Magicians Season 1 Episode 13 Explained, Cora Bissett Partner, Devito Anonymo Godine, The Libertine Bar, Whiskey Sour Recipe Egg, Classical Mongolian Alphabet, Say Hey Portland, Customer Satisfaction Statement Examples, Bastard Out Of Carolina Sparknotes, Jameel Khan Mashreq Bank, Marchi Rv, St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Solo Dreamer Meaning In Malayalam, Sneaky Pete Season 3 Episode 10 Recap, Make Friends Online Not Dating, Where's The Party Tonight Singer, Girls About Town (1931, Narcissus Pseudonarcissus, Upload Episode 4 Synopsis, Kim Jin-woo Wife, Bird Dog Exercise, Skytrak Golf Simulator, Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling 2018, Itzy And Bts Ships, Cross Strap Ballet Flats,