idlewild movie review

What is not to love?!!! The two meet as boys and forge a bond while sitting under a table at a funeral home looking up the dresses of female patrons. This sweaty establishment is owned by the fat and seamy Sunshine Ace, who goads the performers by the points of his sharp words. I wasn't left questioning any outcome of any character which is so uncommon nowadays! And the n-word, “b–ch,” “a–” and crass mentions of the female anatomy are used on numerous occasions. That was refreshing. Our ratings are based on child development best practices. He asks her what she’s doing there and she explains that the “Good Lord” had sent her to that spot to wait (seven hours so far). She pleads, and threatens (even shooting a shotgun in the air to get several women to leave her husband alone) and eventually has to pack up and move in order to protect her children. He’s clothed, but she is in a bra and skirt. Beautifully composed and infectiously energetic, Idlewild often seems more like a two-hour music video than a fully plotted movie. God’s name is profaned a dozen or so times, mostly in conjunction with “d–n.” “Lord, Lord, Lord” and “Praise Jesus” are also used more as exclamation than praise. Byran Barber's directing of the idea he chose this picture is excellent and even though he's a music video director, he still makes it a great film. The tone of the beginning, very witty and hell-bent-for-leather, was great and seemed to be a great frame for a story about two hustlers - it seemed reminiscent of the winking, headlong tone of "The Sting" - and if the movie could have maintained that tone it might have been a tour de force. If you chose to provide an email address, it will only be used to contact you about your comment. This movie was the best musical that I have seen in so many years. Percival and Angel also couple, naked, with hand-cupped breasts and bare buttocks.

The kids part ways, except for when Percival plays piano in "Church," the speakeasy/whorehouse where Rooster keeps the books and sings. A much better movie than the rating might suggest.

Hard to believe these guys are rappers. How does the film use music (singing and dancing) to move the plot? By Manohla Dargis. If this is how good the Idlewild movie is, imagine how good the Stankonia movie would have been. We're updating our reviews to better highlight authentic stories and accurate, diverse representations. A couple of sex scenes: one in the back of a car involves cunnilingus (a man is cheating on his wife); a second scene takes place in a bedroom.

IDEWILD is easily the Best Musical of the last 25 years. Set in 1935 in Georgia, IDLEWILD opens with a quick and visually quirky trot though what seems a standard best-friends-doomed-to-go-wrong history. Directing could have been much much better. There were parts of it I really loved – the prologue scenes, and some of the musical numbers, and then parts that just seemed to go splat on the screen. A mortician works on bodies, one arriving with blood under its head. Suggest an update to this review. Also some familiar faces such as Cicely Tyson, Ving Rhames, comedian Bruce Bruce and Ms. Patti LaBelle pop up from time to time. I don't listen to R&B music and so therefore I was not aware of them but upon questioning who they were, wow, great acting. It is absolutely mesmerizing and engulfing. | So drinking hard alcohol (hooch) and smoking (cigarettes, cigars and pipes) takes place in all but a handful of scenes. Rooster and Rose (Ace’s girlfriend) are shown having loud, vocal sex in the back seat of a car. I like the seductiveness of this movie. I doubt that Hollyweird will give the proper recognition for this effort. Conflicts that could have been explored between Percival and his father or Rooster and his wife end up getting ignored in favor of a few more random animations or “shake your junk” scenes. Be the first to review this title. That was something of a surprise to me, because I'm not particularly a fan of OutKast, or of rap and hip-hop music in general. I was thoroughly satisfied. After shooting both men, he stands over a still-breathing Ace who is bleeding profusely. Even the movie’s stick figure men—who dance across Percival’s sheet music—tip a bottle from time to time. the love story between percival and "angel" was maintained with the utmost dignity.

It was visually stimulating, the 1930's theme costumes and settings blended hip-hop culture with the distinct flare of the time era in which the film was set. I can't believe people aren't seeing this movie...especially black folks. This has a very beautiful effect for the multiple tones of brown in the skins of the black actors, dancers, and musicians. (The rooster on the front also comes to life and encourages him to drink more.). The show gets off to a fun start and the characters look promising. This video is unavailable. And, all the actors are black. Central dance action in a speakeasy called "Church" characters lie, kill, and cheat; woman pretends to be a well-known star. ", Parents and caregivers: Set limits for violence and more with Plus, Parents need to know that this film isn't appropriate for kids, who may know OutKast from the hit song "Hey Ya!" In his grief, Percival prepares her for a funeral (in an odd musical moment) and then attempts to hang himself. I couldn't get enough of it. Elsewhere, a woman, naked from the waist up, runs down a staircase. Choreography is tight and excellent; music is deleriously hip. André Benjamin as Percival; Antwan A. Patton as Rooster; Paula Patton as Angel; Terrence Howard as Trumpy; Faizon Love as Sunshine Ace; Ving Rhames as Spats; Cicely Tyson as Mother Hopkins; Macy Gray as Taffy; Patti LaBelle as Angel Davenport; Bruce Bruce as Nathan. the action scenes were intense, and had me on the edge of my seat. The dancing was upbeat and impressive. The womanizing Rooster just wants to continue his boozing and wife-deceiving ways. I love musicals and this looked to be really promising.

While Rooster must figure out a way to stay ahead of Trumpy, Ace’s killer. So you wanna see a gangster/comedy/romance/musical, etc. User Reviews Review this title 96 Reviews. In some ways, it completely lived up to its expectations and in others, it failed miserably. Whether it's a murder mystery, a gangsta tale, or a love story can be debated after you see it…just go see it. A thoroughly engaging and entertaining piece of film fare loosely set in a rural area in the early 1930's. Your privacy is important to us. Not "black people". It is very sexy and artistic while managing to be classy and brash at the same time.

Sure on paper the idea of a 1930's hip hop/blue/jazz scene may seem silly, but you'd have to see it to believe it. It has everything, great choreography great music (I normally dislike musicals), nice plot, and very good actors. The movie case caught my eye.

The two meet as boys and forge a bond while sitting under a table at a funeral home looking up the dresses of female patrons. Wondering if Idlewild is OK for your kids? Rooster’s story is a violent one. How does Percival's decision to follow his dreams and leave his father's business affect his father? There is a very good reason that films in general are getting significantly worse in every quality. What to Watch, Read, and Play While Your Kids Are Stuck Indoors, Common Sense Selections for family entertainment, Stoke kids' love of reading with great summer stories, Check out new Common Sense Selections for games, Teachers: Find the best edtech tools for your classroom with in-depth expert reviews, 6 formas de usar los medios para que los niños mantengan el español, Wide Open School: recursos para el aprendizaje a distancia, Which Side of History? We keep being tugged from the ’30s to the present with rap’s gangsta-style fur coats, the use of monikers such as “pimp,” and … rap music itself.

Johnson Family Vacation Online, Five Feet Apart Airport Scene, Who Is The Serial Killer In Beast, Black Poppy Seeds In Tamil, Signed, Sealed, Delivered Marathon 2020, John Bender Costume, Private Tours Azerbaijan, Angel Of Darkness Film 2019, Gifts For Dad Who Has Everything, By Hook Or By Crook Synonyms, Shukranu Release Date, Oprah Authentic Power, Why Did Stella Leave Waking The Dead, Lonely Eyes Lyrics, Animal Book For Toddlers, Agent Bishop Tmnt 2012, Dsw In Store Coupon, Looking For Alaska Episodes, What Does Gb Mean Country, We Are One Global Film Festival, Long Sleeve Dress Casual, Ight Imma Head Out Gif, Angel Cry Lyrics G-eazy, Heat Book Pdf, Birthdays, Tomorrow In History, Tiny Tim Net Worth, Glitter Flats, Game Mania, Take Care Good Night Plot, Wall Mount Pellet Stove, San Diego Kids, Watch Something About Mary Online, Tiktok Dances 2019, Robot Overlords Meme, Coonskin Rotten Tomatoes, Legends Of Learning Vom, Till I Die Lyrics, Blob Image, Tiki Barber Retirement, Cyborg 2 Full Movie Watch Online, Mcdonald's Chicken Salad, Kappa Meme, 2007 Canadian Figure Skating Championships, Gina Carano Deadpool Angel Dust, Mehandi Circus Review Behindwoods, Hands Behind Your Back, Richard Vernon Opera Singer, Sponge Gourd Meaning In Gujarati, Home Netflix, Great Experience Meaning, The Arrival Shaun Tan Main Idea,